Crime Victim Services
Contact: Regina Barnes, Crime Victim Liaison
Know Your Rights
As a crime Victim in Texas have a right to:
- Be protected from further harm or threats for cooperating with prosecution efforts.
- Have the victim's safety considered in the setting of bail
- Information about relevant court proceedings.
- Information about a defendant's right to bail and the procedures in a criminal investigation and in the criminal justice system.
- Provide pertinent information on the impact of the offense to be considered at the time of sentencing and parole information about the Crime Victims' Compensation program.
- Information about parole procedures and the be notified upon the release of the defendant.
- Be provided with a separate and secure waiting area for witnesses at a trial
- Prompt return of property held as evidence when it is no longer required
- Have employer notified if testimony requires absence from work
- Have counseling regarding acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS/HIV) if the offense creates the need
- Be present at all court proceedings related to the offense, subject to judge's approval
For information and explanation of these rights contact the Texas Attorney General's Office.
Crime Victim Services Phone: (979)265-6194.